Hardwood floors are very durable, yet vulnerable in many ways. These care tips should be used as a guideline to help keep your floors looking beautiful for many years.
THINGS TO DO
- Use felt pads on all table and chair legs.
- Use rugs in high traffic areas: in front of refrigerator, dishwasher and front door.
Clean and replace felt pads yearly.
- Keep floors clean and free of dirt and sand. Dust, mop and vacuum as needed. Dirt and grit may embed in floor or scratch finish.
- Click here to download printable tip sheet (doc).
THINGS TO AVOID
- NEVER use any of the following products or similar products on your hardwood floors:
- Murphy’s Oil Soap, Pledge, Ammonia, Fantastik, Formula 409, Mop ‘n Glo or powdered all-purpose cleaner.
- Avoid using soaking wet mops.
- Never wax a urethane finish
- Avoid high heel shoes.
- Large dogs’ nails will scratch any hardwood floor finish. Keep dogs off or nails short.
- Placing plants on the floor that could leak.
- Use recommended cleaning kit.
- Wipe up large liquid spills ASAP.
- Damp mop with 1/2 cup of vinegar to 1 gallon water. Do not over-wet the mop.
- Tough spots can first be wiped with a dish soap solution.
- We recommend WoodShine cleaning products. Please click here to download price sheet (doc).
- NOTE: Vinegar and water over time will break down the finish on your floor.